Monday, September 27, 2010
Saturday morning, I wanted to make my family a sweet, fall breakfast. I made Angela's Starbucks inspired Pumpkin Scones The hilarious part is that I also forgot to add sugar, just like she warned against (d'oh!)... I sprinkled sugar on them in the oven and then dipped the suckers in the glaze. I thought they were the best, my son liked them too and helped finish daddy's.
After breakfast, our friends picked Scott and me up for an adult-only double date! We went to the Puyallup Fair, one of the 12 largest county fairs in the country. It was a surprisingly hot and sunny day on it was the last weekend of the fair, so this place was packed! We didn't even look toward the rides, instead we found the product vendors, where I bought some pepper jelly. We also ate non-stop. I think I ate the least- bbq and a piroshki. Checking out the livestock was fun. The pigletts were adorable and I think I've seen every cross-species of chicken known to man.
Ever since the Puyallup Fair first opened up the Wine and Beer garden, we found it to be our tradition to plant ourselves in there for a few hours. It was nice to try a few brews we hadn't heard of before. I tried 2 of them- Firestone Walker Solace, which is an unfiltered wheat ale of some sort. It was kind of spicy but also tasted a bit like mango?
Trade Route Cheiftain Amber Ale. I liked this one ok, but it didn't have quite as much flavor as the other. We noticed that the "plastic cups" are the corn by-product cups. I think more and more places are using these.
These guys were here last year and I don't know why... but this year, I simply had to get my picture taken with some Thai Fighters and Storm Troopers...
Sunday was football Sunday. It was a great game and despite being chock-full of technical plays and challenges, the Seahawks put on a great game and gave us a bit of hope for the season. I think we grabbed every last bit of junk food from the kitchen and tossed in on the table. I hope to better plan snacks for next time we watch the game at our house... We did have some Rogue Dead Guy Ale, which they were out of when we visited the brewery a few weeks ago in Portland.
Its no secret that alcohol is bad for you, full of carbs, its bread in a glass. Empty calories that lower your inhibitions and make you crave snacks...
- If I order food before I drink, I may craving for nasty fatty foods. And I plan to drink equal amount water to my beer or alcohol consumption.
My job is in front of a computer for 8 hours. Many of us are stuck in this kind of job. And we have vendors who bring in doughnuts... ugh and there is free "pressed" coffee.
- I drink a lot of water, lots... I think I burn several calories on my trip to the other end of the building where the ladies room is located.
- I enjoy my coffee and don't plan to give it up, but I don't want it to replace my water. I force myself to drink a bottle (3 cups) of water before I go for that second cup.
- I just converted my desk into a "convertable" desk where I can choose to either stand or sit. Its simple but it works.
- And I also ride my bike into work. Its about a 7-10 miles one-way commute. But its also in downtown... hills, whee... I take a 7 mile route in to work so I can go downhill and enjoy the nice waterfront view (I work on the waterfront too), then I take the 10 mile route home for the "path of least resistance". Here is my lovely steed: (she is currently in need of repair, so I'm riding my sweetheart's bike)
I've got 3 of these cute little monsters. They are tons of fun but can also be a bit of a handful, especially when trying to fit in time for a workout. My sweetheart and I also take care of his mother in our home. She has a giant list of health issues including congestive heart failure, COPD, diabeties, and the beginnings or renal failure (you can guess she is a big inspiration for me to live healthier). My family is not a bunch of health nuts, they are a typical family who love their Kraft Mac & Cheese, fast food, cooking with gravy and high fat ingrediants. "You know what would make this bacon better? Wrap it with BACON!"
- Even though mom does most of the cooking, I am trying to take over some cooking duties (its a HUGE shock to everyone, believe me). I haven't made anything they haven't liked yet either. :)
um, aside from that, this is a huge challenge for me. I find it incredibly hard to find time to workout. My p90x setup is in the basement, where my honey does his podcasting. And when he is podcasting, we keep it quiet. Then when he isn't podcasting, he is prepping... I would love to switch it up and exercise upstairs, but our home is older with hard wood floors and everyone below me would think I'm getting pummeled to death by an elephant stampede. And now that school is in session, our evenings are filled with homework and housecleaning. le'sigh. I'll come back to this one....
I don't even want to start on the hurdles of the beloved weekends... Goodbye all personal restraint. :-P Its hell to have so much fun!