December's Goal: 3 miles/day

Thursday, October 21, 2010

How do you find time to workout?

I'd really like to know how working parents ever find time to workout.

Here was last night:

I work my desk job. Come home and we have dinner (Chorizo/Egg burritos).
My sweetheart and a friend are preoccupied all evening doing their podcast.
5pm- I make dessert. OH MY GOSH! Thank you Angela

5:30pm-ish- Do homework with one kid (also while making dessert), another was home sick. It gets dark by the time we are done.
6:30pm-ish- Paint mini pumpkins with the two youngest kiddos


7:30- put sick kid to bed. He was unhappy because his pumpkin's paint layers hadn't reached 4" thickness yet...
I lost track of time somewhere in here...
Go get MIL's meds, bring in the bi-pap and do quick maintenance on the concentrator.
Walk by the kitchen... Then I see the beer I poured for my dinner and sipped while making dessert.

So lonely and ignored... Down the drain you go!
Its dark, its late... about time to pack it up for the night...

...WTF! Didn't I say yesterday that excuses are over? I go throw on some sweats and say toodles. "I'm going for a walk family, don't try and stop me!" It was a very nice, crisp night. I made a quick 2 miles and headed home for shower and bed.

Also, I've been wanting to get back on the bike, but was afraid because its getting cold and dark now. While getting MIL's meds, I found a few items to help me with this problem:

Enter- Balaclava and headlamp! Scotty had a grand time blinding his podcast buddy (and mistakenly, himself)with the headlamp (36 lumen).

And just like that, I was back on the bandwagon. I had a nice 2 mile walk/jog last night and a foggy/wet 7 mile ride into work this morning. My phone's CardioTrainer App is happy to see me again

The little green "300" is a 7 day calorie burn medal. It totals your CardioTrainer workouts for the last 7 days and displays the total. I think the top medal is 1200 calorie burn in 7 days. For the last 2-3 days, my medal said "0"...

Last night wasn't a typical day for me, something snapped and I got selfish. "We all seem to have time to persue our passions except for me, I'm walking dammit." >door slam< (ok, maybe I was nicer about it...) Do other people feel this way? I feel often like I serve others from the moment I wake to the moment I sleep. Its hard for me to put my foot down and ask others to put stuff on hold to help me out, but I realized I need to stop because all I'm doing is putting MYSELF on hold. I get all the love and support I would need (especially from my sweetheart), I just have a hard time speaking up... Is it just me?

2 comments:

  1. You need to put yourself first at some point each day so you can have the energy to take care of everyone else without burning out. I truly believe that! Good for you for getting out on that walk. :)

    Tina
    www.faithfitnessfun.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a lesson that I had to learn too. I realized that I felt better about myself when I took time to put myself first when it came to fitness and getting healthy.

    ReplyDelete