December's Goal: 3 miles/day

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Love my Body

Today is National Love Your Body Day. I can completely agree with their statement:
"Hollywood and the fashion, cosmetics and diet industries work hard to make each of us believe that our bodies are unacceptable and need constant improvement. Print ads and television commercials reduce us to body parts -- lips, legs, breasts -- airbrushed and touched up to meet impossible standards. TV shows tell women and teenage girls that cosmetic surgery is good for self-esteem. Is it any wonder that 80% of U.S. women are dissatisfied with their appearance?"

I have a confession to make: I compare myself to others. I see the "impossible standard" as something that prevents women from finding a suitable mate. "How am I ever going to be perfect enough?" is a question I find myself asking all too often. I eyeball that piece of cheesecake because I want it, not because its pleasant to look at... I want that cheesecake more than I want this brussel sprout and I may eat that cheesecake if I can get away with it. Get my drift?

Comparing myself, getting jealous, trust... these are things I'm working on. What a perfect day to reflect. I LOVE MY BODY! I may not have perfect photoshopped abs and fake boobs but I believe my body is better.

-I love my eyes: They are large and brown. I have a lot of youth in them.
-I love my lips: They have great volume and are perfect for pouting, heh heh.
-I love my chest: My breasts don't sag, despite have kids. They aren't large, they are perfect for my frame. And they sit below a very shapely set of clavicals.
-I love my belly: I have memories of my weight-loss journey, carrying my son, and a few surgeries. Battle scars, I has them.
-I love my butt: Apple bottom jeans... 'nuff said.
-I love my legs: These puppies can now peddal uphill and are starting to show muscle tone.
-I love my heart: Keep beating strong for me, I have so much to do.

I'm no Hollywood cheesecake, I don't need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment