December's Goal: 3 miles/day

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

In preparation of Turkey Day, I made some home made cranberry sauce. I wanted to make it well in advance because it refrigerates well and I can forget about it until Thursday (leave time in my busy schedule to panic over other things.)

Cranberry Sauce

What you will need:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
12oz bag of cranberries

optional- any other kind of fruit or nut- raisins, apples, pecans, etc

I doubled the recipe and added 2 satsuma oranges

Prep (important!): Put cranberries into a bowl, wash and pick out the bad ones. If they are squishy, you probably don't want them.

Step 1: Bring water and sugar to a boil

Step 2: Add cranberries and bring to a boil again. It will look like there isn't enough water, but there is...

Step 3: When it gets to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. The cranberries will begin to pop. Cook the pop-berries for about 10 mins.

Step 4: Add your optional additions (I added diced orange wedges). I lost patience and popped the rest of the cranberries against the wall of the pot.

Step 5: Let cool a bit then put your sauce into a jar and refrigerate.

Don't forget to use your family and pets as guinea pigs:
Murphy was indifferent

The humans said it was a bit too tart, but I'm hoping that the flavor settles after it cools.

Riley likes it, but he also likes lemons, sea salt vinegar chips and cat poop


I'll give it until Thursday morn, if its too tart, then I'll be at Safeway's door... But I will report back.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! is Murphy a Sheltie??? I have a sheltie too! =) soooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep,both Murphy and Riley are shelties. They are rather large though, almost collie size. We also had my father-in-law's sheltie (Shelby) for 2 years and she was half their size.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds amazing! Your dogs are beautiful....I want one!
    Whole milk makes the best hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete