December's Goal: 3 miles/day

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

writer with a capital W

I love experiencing new 'first's
First time trying a new food, first time trying a new sport or exercise, first time visiting a new place, the list goes on.. The experience of trying something new gives me a rush. It can be clumsy and awkward at times, and whether or not I enjoyed it, I can still add it to my list of experiences.

Last night, I attended my first book signing. (forgive me, I didn't bring my purse and didn't buy a book...) The event took place at a local university and it was two books by Shauna James Ahern, also known as Gluten Free Girl.

She has two books which she spoke about: Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef: A Love Story with 100 Tempting Recipes and Gluten-Free Girl: How I Found the Food That Loves Me Back...& How You Can Too

Most of the people in attendance were either English students of the college or similarly have celiac disease. I am neither. I came with the intention of learning (from another blogger) where she finds inspiration for writing in her blog. Lets be honest, there are health & fitness blogs too numerous to count. Most will have similar content.

Her answer was quite simple. She sits down with a blank slate (but maybe with a vague idea or topic), then lets the writing come from her heart. Can it really be that simple? Will it interest readers and get me more hits?

Yes, it's that simple. I'm not writing to 'be a writer'. With a capital "W" as Shauna put it. I never even began my blog hoping to get lots of readers or attention so I wonder why it entered my mind... I'm not a writer (failed English all through highschool-I'm sure it shows), I just seem to enjoy keeping track of my experiences.

This is my journey. The purpose of my blog began as a way to document the steps I'm taking in beginning an active lifestyle. So long as I get out in the world and try something new, I will always feel that refreshing rush which inspired me to keep an ongoing document. I can come here and write from my heart. These are my memoirs of living life, if it interests anyone to read, then great- I love the exchange of ideas and similar experience readers may share in the comments.

I love experiencing new 'first's
Last night, I experienced my first book signing and my first time trying gluten-free baking.


^I saw the little yellow round thing and ate it whole... yeah, that's butter...

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard at the butter comment! That is totally something you'd do!

    ReplyDelete