December's Goal: 3 miles/day

Friday, November 19, 2010

Eating Healthy in the Workplace

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments on my last post. My headache has gone down and my throat is recovering. I didn't exercise- mostly due to a busy schedule, but if I get my way, I plan to get back on the pavement.


Eating Healthy in the Workplace

I work in an environment that is not very keen on the idea that employees who are healthy will work harder, with less sick days and with less risk of injury. They really should because the work most of the guys do here is rather unsafe and around very old and dangerous equipment-and out in the elements.

Yes, I am dubbed the health freak by my coworkers

We have vendors who come through to meet with the engineers and buyers almost weekly. If you know anyone in the field of sales, you know they like to put their 'target' in a good mood (for buying) by using food. We all know that food, especially as a reward or a gift, initiates a pleasure receptor in us. (which is why I ask my man to gift me with chocolate and not flowers- hint hint)

We have a particular vendor who knows the best(worst) doughnut shop in town. I won't even begin to try and explain it with words:

^That is bacon on a maple bar (next to a smores doughnut)... I actually took that thing home and gave it to my hubby (because I know he likes to be gifted with bacon and not flowers).

Being the good little office health-nut I am, I have succeeded in graciously declining these goodies (and put in a request that the vendor bring a fruit basket one day).

Its easy to tell yourself that you will bring in a healthy lunch everyday and eat a healthy breakfast every morning but the reality is that you won't all the time. There will be a day where you miss breakfast and you will tell yourself that your only option is the fatty-mcfat-fat doughnut. And there will be a day where you 'forgot' to pack a healthy lunch (or left it in the fridge at home) and tell yourself that Mc D's is closest and all you have time for in your lunch hour.

I expected these excuses- so while back, I dedicated a shelf in my office to some healthy options. I make regular trips to the market and buy fresh produce. In fact, this was on my 'food agenda' today after my yogurt-

I took some saladmix from home to eat for lunch before it turned, tomato and bell pepper to add to lunch, the lemon I squeezed the juice out and used in my second water bottle (first water bottle was a fizzy drink with 1000mg of vitamin C- take THAT cold!), The plum I got from the farmer's market and a kiwi for a mid-day snack.

Aside from produce, I also have a dedicated section of my own office for non-perishable health food.

(My office is still a mess and was primarily used as storage before I came onboard)
I keep some dishes, waterbottles, and at the bottom shelf (not shown), I even have a change of workout clothes in case I ride my bike in and get all wet.

Here's a closer look the food I currently keep 'on tap'

(From left to right- the jar or nuts is actually spare change) instant oatmeal (plan to switch to buying in bulk when supply runs out), granola cereal and a starbucks perfect oatmeal fruit packet(to top my yogurt & oatmeal), Cheerios!, chia seeds, dried apriocots

Dried Figs, tea (in the back), a container filled with red quinoa, coffee mate (in case we run out again and I panic), instant soup

And there you have it folks, an unadulterated, untidy look at my emergency food stores at work. If I ever produce a great healthy-living tip, this would be it- Keep healthy food options in your office just in case you forget breakfast or lunch at home.

5 comments:

  1. That is a great idea, Nicole! Keepin' it healthy i the workplace =)


    *Please read my blog post for today. I am shamelessly plugging it coz I REALLY don't want YOU to miss it. Check it out and you'll understand why =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, you are good.

    amazing.
    excellent.

    because those bacon on a maple bars --- are awesome. you are too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is the bear for mental health? That maple bar with bacon verges on being disgusting, I'd have to try it first, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the 'health freak' at my job too! They think I am so weird for choosing fresh veggies and fruits for my lunch instead of the greasy junk they eat. I love all of your tips!! I am going to be using this. My husband would have loved the maple bar ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nicole! You've won something on my blog -- please check it out and send me your contact info. Congrats, and thanks for following my journey!!
    runningdivamom at charter dot net
    www.runningdivamom.com

    great post, btw! I can totally relate to this. I try to stock my lunch bag and desk drawer with healthy options and avoid the treat table. I often have leftovers from meetings I have catered and try to set it out and just WALK AWAY. Sometimes, it's hard! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete